Reply To: Baby with ringworm

1. Welcome!
  2. Forums
  3. Baby with ringworm
  4. Reply To: Baby with ringworm

Welcome! Forums Baby with ringworm Reply To: Baby with ringworm

Christine Bailey

Dear Darren,

Many thanks for your question regarding your client with ringworm. Ringworm is a skin infection caused by a type of fungus called tinea.

There is a wide variety of skin conditions (mycoses) caused by various strains of a fungus called tinea. Another name commonly used for this condition is “ringworm”, because of the appearance of the resulting rash. This name is a misnomer, since the rash is actually caused by a type of fungus (dermatophyte).

In general, these microbes prefer warm, moist areas that are protected from air and light. All types of tinea are contagious and are easily passed from one individual to another.

Although the ringworm rash can appear anywhere on the body, it tends to be found in skin creases and other areas that are prone to hold moisture. It presents with red itchy skin, burning pain, and even small blisters. The rash often forms as a ring of darker red around the outside and a lighter, less inflamed area in the middle. Some people may even experience a darkening of the skin in the area.

Prevention is particularly important if someone is prone to the condition. Wear loose-fitting, breathable, cotton clothing. Make sure to keep the skin clean and dry and be sure to change clothing as much as necessary to maintain skin dryness, especially in high-risk areas. Wash skin with soap and water, and make sure to dry thoroughly afterwards. Do not share clothing or towels. Avoid wearing clothing that rubs and irritates the affected area.

Supporting overall innate immune health is also important.

A number of natural products can be used topically to help treat the infection, the most common of which is Tea Tree oil, although some people use oregano oil, and others use colloidal silver.  These should all be diluted and try a small area first to ensure no reactions. Topical treatment may need to be continued for several weeks to ensure complete eradication of the infection. Wash hands thoroughly after touching any infected skin.  Iodine can also be applied to the skin. Use topically to cleanse the infected area as an antimicrobial agent. I like colloidal silver spray which I find effective.

Vermerie et al. Stability of nystatin in mouth rinses; effect of pH temperature, concentration and colloidal silver addition, studied using an in vitro antifungal activity. Pharm World Sci. 1997 Aug;19(4):197-201. https://tinyurl.com/y8yo8syh

Apple cider vinegar may be another option. Apple cider vinegar is loaded with natural acids that may help fight fungal infections. Using a cotton ball saturated (but not dripping) with apple cider vinegar, gently dab the ringworm area two to three times a day until the ringworm clears up. Start out with a small amount of apple cider vinegar, especially if skin is sensitive.

It is also worth noting that dogs and cats get ringworm so ensure the baby is kept away from pets at this time if relevant.

I agree with you that you should add in innate immune support as well so yes, Saccharomyces boulardii would be useful. I would also suggest a lactobacillus probiotic to support immune health and colostrum powder as well. Ensure the baby is also taking a baby multi to support overall nutritional status.

SUGGESTED SUPPLEMENTS

The following supplements are suggested for you to consider in light of your relevant expertise and intimate understanding of the needs of your client or patient. It is not intended for them all to be taken, but rather just those that you select. They may be used in isolation or as part of a multi supplement strategy, but at all times the consideration of their use should be tied into the specific needs of the individual you are responsible for.

Please consider these suggestions in light of the other clinical information pertaining to this individual.  If you have any more information about the specific problems this individual is experiencing, further refinement of these suggestions may be considered.  I hope this information is helpful, and if you have any further questions or information specific to the problems this individual is experiencing, please do provide feedback.

Saccharomyces boulardii (ARG) – empty 1 capsule into food / cool drink daily – https://tinyurl.com/z27sdwn

Phospholipid Colostrum (ARG) – take ½ tsp twice daily – https://tinyurl.com/zwty66b

Russian Choice Immune (ARG) – take 1 capsule daily – https://tinyurl.com/ycgoj69y

I hope this helps with your question

Christine

Menu