Welcome! › Forums › 50 yo F with Digestive Issues, Fatigue and Headaches › Reply To: 50 yo F with Digestive Issues, Fatigue and Headaches
I’ve had gut issues myself where I was unable to eat any fibrous veg, complex carbs or most supplements (especially if they were in capsule form because of the casing/cellulose). As the restrictions were severe I just wanted to focus on trying to ‘eat’ normal foods, so I narrowed my focus down initially on gut repair, this is what helped me:
– Regular bone broths (using a slow cooker was a great time saver as it could cook away for 8-24 hours giving hot instant broth/cuppa soups for two days in a row)
– The only fibre I could handle was porridge oats (I couldn’t handle rolled oats initially) and ground flax; I also started off with stewed apples but initially I had to peel the apples to get rid of that extra fibrousness..
– I took kefir/probiotic yoghurt as and when I remembered and sometimes I bought unsweetened coconut yoghurt
– I later used apple cider vinegar to support my digestion….
– I was able to take sublingual supplements (spray form)
– Glutagenics by Metagenics in powder form (has aloe vera, diglycerrhinitate licorice and L-glutamine) helped alsods, I took twice the recommended dose for a few months… then dropped down to normal dose
– I used a lot of flax oil although fish oil might have been better albeit the taste/smell
I wish I could say I took lots of other wonderful nutrients that might be available, but it was hard finding a form that was easy to digest/take, I was on a student budget and so even with these limited actions I did achieve a great deal. I’m sure one of the expert nutritionist here will direct you better, I’d be keen to know what they advise especially with extremely sensitive stomachs.
Registered Nutritional Therapist Helen Perks is collaborating with Clinical Education to bring you the first-ever Functional Medicine book club for Practitioners.
- No Replies